Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Love Symphony

I read a poem by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy on another blog which prompted me to search out other of his poems. This one struck me this morning as being particularly nice. Hope you enjoy it.

A Love Symphony
 
Along the garden ways just now
I heard the flowers speak;
The white rose told me of your brow,
The red rose of your cheek;
The lily of your bended head,
The bindweed of your hair:
Each looked its loveliest and said
You were more fair.

I went into the wood anon,
And heard the wild birds sing
How sweet you were; they warbled on,
Piped, trilled the self-same thing.
Thrush, blackbird, linnet, without pause,
The burden did repeat,
And still began again because
You were more sweet.

And then I went down to the sea,
And heard it murmuring too,
Part of an ancient mystery,
All made of me and you.
How many a thousand years ago
I loved, and you were sweet—
Longer I could not stay, and so
I fled back to your feet.


--------------------------------

Secret Garden
Bruce Springsteen